Just announced at the Walt Disney Company shareholders meeting was the most anticipated announcement of the year! When is Star Wars Land, also known as Galaxy’s Edge, opening? Did you know this land is opening this year at both Disneyland and Disney World? Let’s talk about everything we know about Star Wars land so far!
Everything We Know About Star Wars Land (So Far)
First, we finally have an opening date! Well, rather, we have opening dates! Star Wars land, or Galaxy’s Edge, is opening at both Disneyland at Disney World in 2019. Disneyland will open Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge on May 31, 2019. Disney World will open Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge in Disney’s Hollywood Studios on August 29, 2019.
What is Open on Opening Day?
According to the Disney Parks Blog, which is my source for the most accurate information, the land itself will be open to the public on opening day. However, the only ride that will be open for the time being is Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run. This is true for both Disneyland and Disney World.
What else will be open? The immersive land itself will be open. This leads me to believe that the restaurants, bar (yes, a bar), shops, and interactive experiences will all be open. Set to open “later this year” during phase two will be Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance.
Rides in Galaxy’s Edge
There will only be two rides in Star Wars land. Millennium Falcon: Smuggler’s Run and Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance will be the rides guests can enjoy while visiting the land. We learned last year, that the Millennium Falcon ride will put guests straight into the cockpit of the iconic ship, and how you do on your mission can affect your activity in the rest of the land!
Additionally, many members of the media were able to see part of Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance a week ago during a press event, and everyone seemed to be thoroughly impressed. The basic premise is that guests will sneak into the First Order base on Batuu (the planet where Galaxy’s Edge is located), and an epic battle will ensue!
Music in Galaxy’s Edge
What makes you think of Star Wars? Is it the lightsabers? The Death Star? X-Wings and Tie Fighters? For me, it is the iconic score from legendary composer John Williams. His music is synonymous with so many film scores, it was exciting to hear that he composed brand new themes specifically for Star Wars land at Disneyland and Hollywood Studios.
Cast Member Attire
If you’re not riding the ride, what will you be doing? Besides immersing yourself in the interactive land, you will most likely be shopping or eating. I cannot wait to do both.
The Cast Member costumes are probably my favorite part of the new land. Recognizable First Order garb and Resistance uniforms will be most obvious to guests as they enter the land.
Outside of those two factions, Black Spire Outpost villagers will have a variety of costume options including several shirts, bottoms, and vests that will allow Cast Members to mix and match.
Merchandise for Guests
While we can’t purchase a Cast Member costume, we can fill our pockets with plenty of other galactic goodies. Merchandise options for guests include:
- Dok-Ondar’s Den of Antiquities: buying and selling “rare and uniquely-valued items from across the galaxy”
- Savi’s Workshop: Customizable lightsaber with real kyber crystals
- Droid Depot: Construct your own astromech droid
- First Order Cargo: Gear, uniforms, and other supplies from the First Order
- Resistance Supply: Uniforms, pins, jackets, hats, helmets, maps, tools, and more
- Toydarian Toys: Handcrafted toys
- Creature Stall: Unique “critters” that guests can take home
- Black Spire Outfitters: Clothing
- The Jewels of Bith: Accessories and trinkets
Food in Galaxy’s Edge
Finally, my favorite part of all things Disney, the food! What kind of food will be available in Galaxy’s Edge? There will be everything from snacks to full entrees to, yes, even adult beverages (a first for Disneyland Resort)!
- Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo: The story behind this restaurant is that Chef Strono “Cookie” Tuggs had a longtime gig as the chef at Maz Kanata’s castle on Takodana. Now he is bringing his exotic flavors and unusual dishes to his traveling diner, “Tugg’s Grub.”
- Ronto Roasters: A droid, 8D-J8, will be running this dining spot. Exotic meats will be turned by the droid on a recycled podracing engine.
- Milk Stand: Everyone’s favorite blue or green milk will be available, direct from Bubo Wamba Family Farms.
- Kat Saka’s Kettle: Supposedly, this will be one of many street stalls. This stall will offer a sweet/salty popcorn mix with a hint of spice.
- Oga’s Cantina: Patron’s of the catina will be able to choose from adult libations or kid friendly options with exotic ingredients and “otherworldly” methods.
NEW: Coca-Cola Partnership
Obviously, the food and drinks served in Galaxy’s Edge need to have a Star Wars feel. How can you have a favorite soft drink in the land if it’s not Star Wars themed? Enter the Coca-Cola company and their awesome new drink designs! After translating the labels into Aurebesh, Coca-Cola also reconfigured their caps and the traditional bottle shape to fit better with in the land.
Opening Date Information for Disneyland
I wanted to end this article with some important information about the opening of Galaxy’s Edge in Disneyland. Guests of the Disneyland Resort wishing to visit Galaxy’s Edge from 5/31/19-6/23/19 will need to make a reservation to visit the land. It does not involve an extra cost above theme park admission, but admission to the land will not be guaranteed without a reservation during this timeframe. Additionally, guests of the Disneyland hotels will have this reservation made for them automatically (1 reservation per person per room).
Disney World guests do not have to make reservations to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge when it opens on August 29.
My best guess for this is an attempt at crowd control. Orlando and Anaheim are very different properties and have different security and/or crowd control needs. No further details about how long a reservation will last or how many days you can make a reservation for. I’ll be sure to update when we hear more!
What are you most looking forward to about Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge?