About On the Road with Sarah
On the Road with Sarah is a website dedicated to encouraging wanderlust, offering expert travel advice, and helping families make the most of their travels together.
Story Behind the Blog
Over ten years ago, Sarah Gilliland began her personal blog, Sarah in the Suburbs, as a way to connect with other women online who were also new initiates to the world of parenting.
While many things have changed since 2012, one thing that has not changed is Sarah’s love of writing and sharing her knowledge with others.
The year 2020 challenged Sarah to focus on what mattered most to her. She knew a change was needed to serve her audience better and let her expertise shine through. With a renewed focus on creating content solely for travel, On the Road with Sarah was born during the latter half of 2021.
Sarah Gilliland is the voice behind On the Road with Sarah, and she prides herself on being an expert in family travel. Growing up in a military family, Sarah’s wanderlust tendencies were no surprise to her husband, who she married in January 2009, as he was just as keen on seeing the world as she was.
Her three children keep her on her toes, but also give her a reason to help others in their quest to make lifelong memories and experiences together. Sarah and her family live in the suburbs of Birmingham, Alabama, and the experiences she has had living in the south have shaped her view of domestic and international travel.
When Sarah is not traveling or working on her website, she is attempting to keep up with social media and entertainment trends or, more often than not, reading the next library book on her Kindle list.
Where Else Can You Find Sarah
Freelance writing continues to be one of Sarah’s pursuits. Check out some of her freelance work below:
- Avoid Long Food Lines at Disney with TikTok’s Latest Hack-Explore.com
- What the National Park Service Advises About this Common (and Controversial) Practice-Explore.com
- Why Christmas at Dollywood is Unlike Anything Else-Conde Nast Traveller
- I’ve stayed in 3 types of rooms on cruises, and the cheapest was never worth it. Here’s what to book instead.-INSIDER
- I grew up going to Disney World, but now I prefer Disneyland. Here are 10 reasons the California park is better. -INSIDER
- Q&A: Dr. Pye from ‘The Magic of Disney’s Animal Kingdom’-Attractions Magazine
- Interview: Royal Caribbean’s Director of Food & Beverage Operations-Attractions Magazine
- The Best Hotels in Disney World that Won’t Bust Your Budget-Wealth of Geeks
- Do You Need to Be a Fan of Super Nintendo World to Enjoy It?-Wealth of Geeks
- My party of 2 spent $210 to decorate a Mickey Mouse cake at Disney World. It was worth it for the mimosas and dessert alone.-YahooLife
- As a ‘Harry Potter’ fan, this Butterbeer recipe is my go-to for making the Universal Wizarding World treat at home.-YahooLife
Work with Sarah
Sarah is no stranger to brand collaborations. Through her previous website and current social media handles, Sarah has worked with brands and CVBs such as:
- Disney Parks
- Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari
- Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism
- Visit Pigeon Forge
- Visit Memphis
- Coastal Mississippi
- Visit Gatlinburg
- Visit Florida
- Visit Branson
If you are interested in working with Sarah in any capacity, please reach out to her via email [email protected].